Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Let's Talk About Body Paint


So, I've done quite a few cosplays with full or near-full body paint. These cosplays always go over well, and I always get a lot of positive comments and compliments on them. I also get a lot of questions, like what brand I use, how long did it take, how do I keep it from smudging or rubbing off, etc. In this (long) post, I will answer all those questions and do an overview of the body paints I have used, techniques I like, and tips to help you rock that body paint cosplay!

* Disclaimer: I have NOT been sponsored or endorsed by any of the brands I will be talking about today. These are my own opinions and thoughts on these products that I wanted to share with you.

Types of Body Paint

First, let's discuss the different types of body paint. The type of paint you ultimately choose will depend on a few different factors such as budget, needs (as in, will you be just be doing some designs on your face or painting your entire body), skill level, and skin type (as in, if you have really sensitive or dry skin, some paint types can harm your skin). 

1.) Water-activated/based paint

The most common and the most budget-friendly type of paint is water-activated paint. They come in a palatte or cake, and like the name suggests, this type of paint is activated by adding water and painting on with a makeup brush or sponge and also comes off with soap and water. When applying, be careful not to use too much water because you will dilute it too much and also take off the layer of paint you already applied. Examples of water-activated paint include Snazaroo, Mehron Paradise, and Kryolan Aquacolor. 
Image result for snazaroo Image result for mehron paradise paint Image result for kryolan aquacolor
PROS: Easily accessible (Snazaroo can be found at craft stores like Michael's, Aquacolor and Paradise online and at theatre stores), easy to apply, easy to remove, gentle on skin, easily removed from clothes

CONS: Cheaper brands may lack opacity, will come off with sweat if not sealed properly, will rub off on clothes and other people of not sealed properly, even with sealing will start to rub off after a long con day 

The more expensive the brand, the better quality you will get. For example, Snazaroo is the cheapest of these 3 brands, and I find it doesn't cover as well or stays on as well as, say, Mehron. 

2.) Alcohol-activated/based paint

This is the stuff you want if you want to your paint to be as perfect after a 15-hour con day as when you put it on. Alcohol-activated paint will not come off with water, so it's good for underwater shoots or days when you know you'll be sweating, and will not come off on clothes or other people (but that doesn't mean you shouldn't seal it 😉). These paints come in liquid form in a bottle similar to regular paint. However, these can be very expensive and generally require an airbrush to apply properly. Examples include ProAiir Hybrid and Temptu Dura. 
Image result for temptu duraImage result for proaiir hybrid
PROS: Excellent durability, waterproof

CONS: Expensive, require an airbrush, can be harsh on sensitive skin, requires alcohol to remove

3.) Creme and Grease-Based Paint

These paints often come in a little palette, and go on with a makeup sponge. They are often easy to find and reasonably priced. These have a tendency to rub off easily even when sealed, and may not be the best choice for full body paint. An example is Ben Nye Creme Color. 
Image result for ben nye creme color

PROS: Affordable, easy to apply, easy to remove

CONS: Rubs off very easily, harder to remove from clothes

4.) PAX Paint

You've likely heard of something called PAX paint. PAX isn't a paint itself, it's a combination of Pros-Aide adhesive and acrylic paint. It's extremely durable, but if you're wearing it in extreme cold, the Pros-Aide can actually shrink and you'll get a weird crinkly lizard-skin look. It's also known for being extremely difficult to remove. Also, the jury still isn't out on the safety of this. Pros-Aide is a prosthetic adhesive, so it's perfectly safe for skin, but regular acrylic paint is not meant for use on skin, and some types can even be toxic. Even those who swear by PAX say to not use it on your face or safety reasons. Personally, I don't want to have my skin absorbing something that is also used to paint prosthetics and props. 
Image result for pros-aide

PROS: Great durability, easy to apply with a brush

CONS: Extremely difficult to remove, question about the safety of painting yourself with paint not meant for use on human bodies

Additional Products

These products are absolute body paint MUSTS. Do NOT wear body paint without these items - lack of use of these is part of why everyone at cons hated Homestuck cosplayers back in the day (think grey paint on everything and everyone). 

1.) Sealer

For the love of whatever God(s) or higher being(s) you believe in, please don't be that person that doesn't seal their body paint. Not only will it look really bad, but everything and everyone you some in contact with will be covered in whatever color you are that day. Don't be that person. Some cons even have rules against non-sealed body paint. 

I use Ben Nye Final Seal. Give yourself a nice spritzing after you're done painting (please close your eyes...). It's cheap(er), not harsh on skin, and has a nice minty sort of smell. You can also use Green Marble, which is alcohol-based and so provides great durability, but is very expensive and can be harsh on sensitive skin. 
Image result for ben nye final sealImage result for green marble sealer

2.) Setting Powder

I put this on with a kabuki brush after I use the Final Seal. I use Ben Nye Neutral Set, which goes on white but dries clear. You can also use regular powder, but it'll make you white as a ghost. 
Image result for ben nye neutral set 

What I've Used

1.) Snazaroo

Snazaroo was the first body paint I used. I use it for the black and red on my Red Core Rabbit cosplay. I apply with a brush and sponge, depending on the area (for my face and detailing, I use the brush, and for my neck and ears, I use the sponge). It applies decently, and stays on decently, but I find it doesn't apply as opaque or have as good durability as Mehron Paradise. Especially on my neck where I used the sponge, I found it can be a little splotchy, but for Rabbit I liked that it gave a sort of old-metal look which was appropriate to the character. If I wanted the paint to be my skin, I wouldn't have liked this look. I also use Snazaroo for GLaDOS' face markings, Bucky's eye shading, and War Girl's face markings/oil marks. I  also used it for Ahsoka's white facial markings. Overall, I think it works best for detailing and makeup that you want to look smudged or messy. It's superior to stuff you'd get at Walmart, but not as good as a more expensive/professional brand like Mehron. (Rabbit photo by Derpy Mermaid Cosplay & Photography, Winter Soldier photo by Bombeii Cosplay & Photography, War Girl photo by JMW Photography, GLaDOS photo by Godzilla vs Heisenberg.)
  

2.) Mehron Paradise

Mehron Paradise is by FAR my favorite paint. I used this for full body paint on my face, arms, and legs for Miss Martian. It applied like a charm with a little water and a makeup brush (took about an hour), and when sealed with Ben Nye Final Seal and Neutral Set, it didn't start to rub off until about 10 hours into wearing it and being outside for about 30 minutes in 95 degree August weather. This is now my go-to paint. (Photos y K. Brophy Studio). 

3.) Mehron Metallic

I didn't mention this in the paint types overview because I honestly don't know what type of paint you'd call this. Mehron Metallic comes in powder form in a tiny little container. You mix it with the Mehron Mixing Liquid and paint it on. I use it for the copper and silver for my Rabbit cosplay. It stays on really well with sealing, and comes off with water. (Photo by Derpy Mermaid Cosplay & Photography)
 

4.) Kryolan Aquacolor

I used Aquacolor recently for my Ahsoka Tano cosplay (along with white Snazaroo). It was recommended by other Ahsoka cosplayers, but I honestly still prefer Mehron Paradise and will switch to that in the future. The Aquacolor went on easily with a paint brush and sponge, but I found it was splotchy and not as durable or opaque as I would have liked/what I've gotten with Mehron. (Photo by Christopher Wetherell's Photography).


So that's it! If you have any additional questions about body paint, please leave me a comment! And make sure to subscribe via email if you like my blog! And as always, you can find me on Facebook and Instagram. Thanks for reading!

- Birdie ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment